Gluten Free, Vegan Biscuits & Gravy

When I worked at Panera Bread in Chicago I had a coworker who would always bring music to listen to while we were closing and to my delight he enjoyed listening to techno which is a love of mine as well. Every time a song would come on that I knew I would say "Hey! I love this song" and would then rattle off a story from my life associated with it. Finally one night he said "you seem to have a story for every single song!" Yes, it's true...my life is one big spider web and I love connecting new things to old memories and it is no different when it comes to food-everything has a story.

My first experience that I can remember with biscuits and gravy was a warm and happy one. My mom, brothers, and myself were staying with some old friends-it was one of those types of connections where their daughter was my best friend (and still is), their son was my brothers best friend, my mom and dad were their best friends, ect. Anyway, this particular family cooks amazing food every time they are ready to put something in their mouths ( it's incredible, really). So there I was at their house, perched atop a stool when this lovely biscuit was placed in front of me and then was quickly followed by a large ladle full of sausage gravy. Let me just say that I was addicted after the first bite. I remember times following this experience where I would go to a restaurant and order biscuits and gravy only to be disappointed by it's lackluster flavor. Now years have gone by and being vegan I no longer have to worry about being dissapointed by bad sausage gravy, but today I decided that it was high time I popped out a vegan recipe for this wonderful dish. So there you have it!


Serves 3

Biscuit Ingredients:

3 cups oat flour
2 tbs liquid aminos (or 1 tsp salt)
3/4 cup vegan butter
3 flax eggs (1 flax egg=1 tbs ground flax+2 tbs water)
water

Biscuit Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine oat flour, liquid aminos, vegan butter, and flax eggs.
3) Mix with a mixer on medium while slowly adding water until a ball of dough forms.
4) Grab 1/2 cup sized globs and place them on either a greased try or on a try covered with a silpat (which is my preference)
5) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they start to become golden brown and are cooked all the way through.

Gravy Ingredients:

16 oz. white mushrooms, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbs liquid aminos
1 tbs rosemary
1 tbs sage
1 tbs thyme
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs italian seasoning
1/2 cup rice flour
1 1/2 cups almond milk

Gravy Directions:

1) In an iron skillet on medium heat, add liquid aminos,onion, mushrooms, and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are soft and have released most of their juices.
2) Turn the heat down to low and add in the rice flour. Mix until everything is well covered.
3) Add in the almond milk and mix (if it is too thick you can either add more almond milk or water until it thins out)
4) Turn the heat back to medium and add in the rest of the spices and stir to combine.

When the biscuits are done you can pull them out of the heaven and top with the warm gravy. Enjoy!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.