Gluten Free, Low Fat, Vegan Pizza!

If you are a pizza connoisseur I'm sure you looked at the title of the recipe and quickly dismissed it, thinking "what's left?"

Well let me just start by describing the crust: I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Dough mix and it is unlike anything else as far as gluten free pizza crust goes. It is soft and bready like a normal dough would be, so we're good there!

 Let's move on to the sauce: I made a homemade sauce to cut down on the ammount of sodium as well as fat that might be there because of added oil (To be honest I'm not sure why the oil needs to be there)/ The herbs are what give pizza sauce it's flavor, so after adding those I had a great sauce, so we are good there!

Now moving on to the toppings: Well if you have ever visited a CiCi's restaurant then you know that you can really put anything on top of dough and sauce and call it a pizza. However, I didn't get crazy, I just added some vibrant veggies to give some texture and flavor.

Finally we have the cheese: Ok, I know this is the real sore spot when it comes to vegan pizza and I know I can't please everyone, but my cheese was a good substitute. I've been veering away from storebought vegan cheeses because I know they are quite processed and when I found a recipe for vegan cheese sauce using vegetables and potatoes I knew I had to try it! I orginally used this sauce recipe for baked mac and cheese which I have made a couple times (it is amazing!) and decided to try it on top of pizza as well.

Now on to the main event: Look at this!


I never really know how many people to tell you that these recipes serve because Steven and I eat a lot and I usually only make one thing for dinner rather than a bunch of little components, so this recipe makes a normal pizza stone size pizza, but we ate the whole thing.

Crust Ingredients:

1 Bag of Bob's Red Mills Pizza Dough
2 flax eggs (1 flax egg= 1 tbs ground flax+2 tbs water)

Crust Directions:

I followed the directions on the bag, but I replaced the eggs with flax eggs and I left out the oil completely because it isn't necessary.

Sauce Ingredients:

1 can of tomato paste
2 tbs liquid aminos
1 tbs rosemary
1tbs italian seasoning
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs basil
1 tbs thyme
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1 1/2 cup of water + more for your desired thickness

Sauce Directions:

1) In a small bowl mix all the ingredients together except for the water.
2) Add water in little by little until you have reached your desired consistency.
3) Mix well. 

Topping Ingredients:

Obviously toppings are really your choice, but these are the things I added to mine:
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 small zuchini
4 white mushrooms

Cheese Sauce Ingredients:

I got this recipe from the blog pamela salzman, but I modified it a little bit.

1/4 tsp paprika
1 yellow onion
3 medium sized potatoes (I used red, but you could use yellow potatoes too)
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup cashews (soaked)
2 tbs liquid aminos
1/4 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cheese Sauce Directions:

1) Bring a pot of water to boil on the stove.
2) Add in the potatoes, carrots, and onion-cook until very soft.
3) When the vegetables are soft, drain the water and put them into a blender.
4) Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender anb blend until smooth.

You will be so surprised by who creamy and cheesy this is! I was amazed the first time I made it!

Time to assemple your pizza! 

Assembly:

If you followed the direction on the Bob's Red Mill bag for the crust you should have it all ready to go! 

1) If you don't already, roll out your dough and place it on a pizza stone or on a baking tray.
2) Lay a layer of sauce on top of the crust.
3) Add your desired veggies.
4) Pour on the cheese!
5) Top it off with a sprinkle of your favorite italian herbs (optional)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.