B12-Protein-Punch Breakfast Ice Cream

As a vegan who tries to base most breakfasts and lunches on the raw vegan diet, my usual go to breakfast is a nice big banana shake. I do all kinds of variations of the banana shake and every once in a while I strike something that is pure gold. This shake is inspired by a few things:

 1) Because of my diet and tendency towards anemia I seem to have pretty poor blood circulation and this is a huge let down for someone who loves to work out a lot, because I can get tired easily! The solution to this is B12 which is a very important vitamin (which vegetarians/vegans lack) that among other things aids in getting oxygen to the blood. So to add this important vitamin into this shake I used nutritional yeast  which is rich in vitamin B12 (if properly cared for).

2) To aid in muscle development I added some protein in the form of peanut butter. However, I am not talking about the stuff that has added oils and sugars-just stick with the plain old peanuts (and salt) kind. I get my peanut butter from whole foods at a great price, but I know not everyone has access to one of those, so my other suggestion would be Smuckers, because you know..."with a name like Smuckers it has to be good!"

3) The main ingredient in this shake is bananas. Bananas are one of the most amazing fruits with a million bajillion benefits, one of which is maintaining nerve and muscle function. They are a great digestible carbohydrate that will keep you moving through you work out and as a bonus they are delicious!

4) Coconut water is a great for hydration and potassium. This will get you ready for your day and your workout!

5) Almond milk is actually a better source of calcium than cows milk, so add this to your shake and you'll not only be adding a yummy creamy texture, but also an important element in making strong bones!

6) Started your day out on the wrong foot? Feeling sad about having to work out? Add some cocoa powder into this shake and your day might just turn around. Cocoa powder is said to have an antidepressant effect as well as an ability to boost your endorphin's which will actually make your happy!

7) The final ingredient that I add to my shakes is not absolutely necessary, but it does add an extreme sweetness to it that makes it resemble ice cream and with no calories! You can't tell me you have never wanted to have guilt free ice cream for breakfast AND before a workout at that! The final ingredient is Sweet Drops, made from the amazing little herb called Stevia. With just a few drops you will have transformed your shake from good to aaaaaaaaamazing.

Ok, I just read back through everything I just wrote and realized I sound like a sales person. But really, I am trying to sell you on this! Try it!



B12-Protein-Punch Breakfast Ice Cream
Ingredients:
about 15 ice cubes
6 frozen bananas
4 tbs peanut butter
5 sweet drops
2 cup almond milk
1 cup coconut water
3 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs nutritional yeast

Directions:
1. Place everything in the blender and blend until it is a smooth creamy consistency. You may need to add more almond milk or coconut water if it is not blending easily. 
2. To finish it off you can drizzle some more peanut butter on top to give it a peanut butter swirl ice cream effect.













0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.