Vegan Asparagus Alfredo

Last week I bought a bunch of asparagus that I had planned to cook with some lemon to brighten it up, but I hadn't quite finished that recipe in my mind and I didn't want the poor little asparagus to wilt so I decided to turn them into a good ol' comfort food-alfredo! Nothing screams fancy comfort food quite like alfredo. It is so rich and creamy and full of garlicky goodness. This recipe is both vegan and gluten free and it only takes about half an hour to pull together-hoorah!


Serves 2-4 (depending how hungry you are. Steven and I are pretty big eaters!)

Ingredients:

-1 bunch of asparagus
-1 16 once bag of corn pasta (corn pasta has a tendency to turn to mush if cooked until soft which is why I suggest a full bag, however we didn't finish all of the pasta, so if there are only two of you I'd say do 8-10 onces)
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp earth balance butter

For the Sauce:

-1 1/2 cup soy, almond or coconut milk (I actually used a coconut milk/almond blend made by almond breeze, but any none dairy milk works well)
-4 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
-1 tbs dried basil
-2 tbs liquid aminos
-1/2 cup daiya mozzarella cheese shreds.
-2 tbs rice flour
-1 tbs earth balance butter

Directions:

1) Cook pasta according to the package
2) Cut the ends off of the asparagus and wash them.
3) Heat a skillet to medium heat and melt the 1 tsp of earth balance butter
4) Place the asparagus in the skillet and cover so they get soft

For the Sauce:

1) In a small pan melt the earth balance butter and chopped garlic and saute on medium heat until brown, approx. 2 minutes.
2) Add in your choice of none dairy milk and cook until it starts to bubble
3) Turn down the heat and add in the rice flour for thickness and stir until well combined.
4) Add in the mozzarella cheese shreds and stir until they are melted into the mixture.
5) Add in the basil and liquid aminos and stir until combined.

Now you are ready to plate! Just strain your pasta, plate it, pour the yummy alfredo sauce over top and then finish it off with the asparagus. Yum!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.