Brown Rice Sushi

Chinese food is one of those things that I could eat everyday and not get tired of it! So many great vegetables combined in unique ways and drenched in delicious flavor! Sushi is one specific food that I could eat forever. It has the rice which brings a heartiness, fresh vegetables which bring crunch and seaweed which ties it all together in flavor. Yum!

 A few years ago I started making it at home occasionally and I absolutely love it. It is especially great on a nice hot summer day, but it is also good on a very cold and wintry day like today. Make this recipe and fill up a plate and grab yourself some liquid aminos or soy sauce (and wasabi too!) and settle down on the couch with a movie and your significant other (at least that's how I like to eat my sushi).


I made this recipe for Steven and myself and we were able to eat all, but three pieces, so it is up to you how many servings you want to call this.

Ingredients:
2 cups brown rice
6 cups of water
2 tbs vinegar (I used red wine, but it really doesn't matter)
1/2 avocado
6 marinated artichoke hearts cut lengthwise into matchstick size pieces
1/4 cucumber cut into matchstick size pieces.
1/4 cup sprouts
3-4 sheets of nori (depends on how much rice you put in each, I really stuffed mine and only used 3)

Directions:
1) Cook the brown rice in the 6 cups of water until all the water has evaporated (you have to use this much water with brown rice because otherwise it won't stick together).
2) Stir in the vinegar and let it cool.
3) Once the rice has cooled, start sticking it to one side of the nori. Be sure to spread it out so that the whole sheet is covered
4) In the middle of the rice covered nori place a row of avocado, artichoke, cucumber, and sprouts and make sure it is all close together (on top of each other if you can).
5) Grab one side of the sushi (horizontal to the line of vegetables) and begin rolling tightly towards the other side. 
6) Once you have finished rolling make sure nothing is coming out of the ends (if the ends are empty you can stuff them with more rice) and then you can cut it into pieces.
7) Continue the process with the other two sheets of nori.

The end.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.