Strawberry Chocolate Cake


To be honest I have never been a big cake person. I've actually never really been a huge sweets person. Growing up I would have rather had a big bowl of tortilla chips instead of ice cream or cake. Since switching to a whole foods, plant-based diet I have grown to appreciate sweets a little more simply because when I make them, I make them in such a way that it would be healthy enough for me to eat for breakfast: Completely plant based without any unnatural additives. Today happens to be my birthday and because it is tradition to eat some sort of sweet for this momentous occasion, I have chosen to make myself a cake for breakfast. Now the awesome part is that it is composed of things that I would eat for breakfast anyway, but it tastes like cake! Now I am not going to lie...the way I have laid it out here makes it look super complicated, but it's not. You pretty much make the whole thing in a blender which is super easy, so give it a try!


Cake Ingredients:


  • 2 cups of oats 
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 14 medjool dates, soaked in water
  • 1 cup of the date soaking water
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder

Cake Directions:

  1. Combine all the ingredients together in a high powered blender and blend until it is a smooth batter. 
  2. Pour batter into a spring form pan and spread so that it is covering the bottom evenly
  3. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked completely through (check the middle with a knife every once in a while)
  4. Take out of the oven and let it cool.

Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of strawberries
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3 medjool dates, soaked in water

Strawberry Sauce Directions:


  1. In a blender combine the strawberries and dates and blend until smooth.
  2. Pour into a bowl and add in the chia seeds.
  3. Let it sit for about half an hour to let the chia seeds plump up.

Cashew Icing Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of cashews, soaked
  • 8-10 medjool dates, soaked
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup of water

Cashew Icing Directions:

  1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  It should come out like a think icing consistency.

Chocolate Sauce Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 5 medjool dates, soaked
  • 1/4 cup of water

Chocolate Sauce Directions:

  1. Combine all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. It should come out like a thick chocolate sauce, but liquid enough that it can be drizzled out of the container.

Assembly:

  1. Once the cake has cooled, remove the sides of the spring form pan and spread a layer of the cashew icing
  2. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the icing. You can make a design with it if you want or just spread a layer.
  3. Drizzle the chocolate sauce on top of the jam layer
  4. Finally, if you want to make it pretty you can add some strawberry slices to the sides and/or top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Do you want to be energized? Do you want to fuel your body with rich and nutrient dense foods that your body loves? Yes? So do I! I've created this blog to document the different recipes I've created as well as share with you a peek into a Vegan lifestyle and the benefits that come with it. I started on the Vegan diet in October of 2012 and my life was immediately transformed! Before I started on the diet I was often very tired and consistently got sick every month. As soon as I changed my diet I became energized, stopped getting sick, and felt great! I want you to be able to experience the transformation that I felt or even just enjoy incorporating these nutrient rich foods into you normal diet.